Sunday, December 26, 2010

Boxing Day = My "Go Nowhere, Do Nothing" Day

Today is the day after Christmas; also known as Boxing Day.

Over the years Boxing Day has become synonymous with retail feeding frenzy, highlighted by heavily advertised blowout sales and deep discounts everywhere. It's the Canadian equivalent to Black Friday in the United States and, naturally, it's a madhouse.

Frankly, I don't get it. After the big buildup to Christmas and time spent celebrating with family and friends the last thing I want is to wade with the teeming masses in search of retail therapy.

That's why December 26th has become my annual "Go Nowhere; Do Nothing" Day. Today is the day when I wake up when I wake up, put on some coffee, and then spend the rest of the day in my pyjamas doing pretty much nothing.


My biggest accomplishment may be reading a book in front of the fireplace while nibbling leftover chocolate from yesterday.

On that note shouldn't leftover chocolate be, at best, an oxymoron?

Nevertheless, I have two ironclad rules for today: First, pyjamas are my uniform of choice and, second, I refuse to leave the house for any reason. People are free to visit as long as they're cool with the fact that I won't be dressing up for company either.

No comments:

Post a Comment