Monday, April 4, 2011

Philippe Dufour - The World's Finest Watchmaker

I have always admired the precision and detail that goes into the making of a well crafted men's wrist watch. Exemplary examples are a true source of inspiration for me.



Recently I had the rare honour of actually holding and inspecting one of the finest timepieces in the world - an absolute gem crafted by the legendary horologist Philippe Dufour of Switzerland. (My only regret was not having a loupe available to view it with).

Let's just say that the experience caught me offguard, and rendered me rather speechless.



This is the master: Philippe Dufour.





Isn't his workshop incredible? My grandfather would have loved this place. "Machines; machines; machines." he'd say.



There are hundreds of details that separate a Dufour from all other watches, including the fact that even the insides of the gears are precision polished by hand.

If you're curious to learn more about Philippe Dufour and his timepieces, please check out the following link which contains a photo gallery of a day spent by a patron with the master.

This article by Ron DeCorte includes photographs of a number of intricate details that are inherent in Dufour's magnificent timepieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment